Did YOU Walk Out?

Did YOU Walk Out?

On March 14, 2018, student all over the country walked out of their classrooms and went outside at 10:00 am to honor the 17 people that died in the Parkland High School, Florida shooting.

The Parkland high school shooting made people realize our world needs a change! 17 people lost their lives at Parkland high school on February, 14 Wednesday afternoon. Exactly one month after the tragic incident, students all across the country left the class they were to honor those who lost their lives, but were people just doing it to get out of class? Were students doing it for the 17 victims? Did they even know what they were doing it for?

Two 8th grade girls from WMS, Isobel Waller and Kaia Turrill, planned the walk out. “We based it on the other organizations that we had seen online and we set up a meeting with Mr. Smiley for every Monday [leading up to the walk out].” When asked what motivated them to participate in the walkout, Isobel stated,“ I was born in London and I’m used to there being gun control and hearing on the news that there had been a mass shooting,  it makes me upset and the walkout is supporting that we need more gun control to stop these kinds of things.” Kaia also added, “And especially with the Florida shooting that had just happened and we wanted to respect what had just happened and raise awareness.”

We asked Carlie Carpenter how she felt about people talking during the walkout she said, “They were being really disrespectful and people were Snapchatting it.”

Alex Wiewiora, who didn’t do the walkout, said, “I felt like I would get in trouble if I walked out of class.” Many kids felt like they would get in trouble if they walked out of their classroom and outside.