Coming Soon: West Band Concert!

Mrs.+Farmers+3rd+hour+7th+grade+band+class+at+WMS.+

Mrs. Farmer’s 3rd hour 7th grade band class at WMS.

Luke Betts, Reporter

The West Middle School band concert taking place on May the 30th is not well enough known, so I’m here to talk to you today to inform you about all of the interesting facts and where and when it will take place.
For those of you who do not know, the band concert will take place on May 30th in the West Middle School gym at 7 P.M., there will be free admission. Unfortunately, this will be the final concert for the 8th graders. We hope that the next step for the 8th graders is to continue onto high school and follow their musical passion.
I spoke to Mrs. Farmer, the West Middle School band teacher who was happy to answer some questions that we had for her about the band concert.
“Do you believe that your students are well prepared to perform in this concert?” She responded with,  “Yes, mostly.  Starting today we have 8 more class rehearsals. The bands sound great!  But…there are many things to fix before May 30.  This final concert of the year includes the biggest challenges for all three Bands.  It’s kind of like our final exam.”
“What part of this band concert will be the highlight of the night?” She said, “I Don’t know how the audience will feel.  My personal highlight at the final concert is the 8th Grade Band.  They have been in the band every day for 3 years and their next step advances to high school.  So they are pretty awesome!”
“Describe the sensation of seeing your students perform at their concerts. How does it make you feel?” She responded enthusiastically, “My favorite part of being a band teacher is watching the growth of the students.  Unlike other classes, the band keeps advancing all through middle school and even through high school and beyond!  Kind of like a sport, playing an instrument can be a life-long journey.  The concerts are a showcase of kids’ achievements. But it’s also kind of sad to know it’s the 8th graders’ final concert.”
“Will there be any solo performances?” She said, “Yes.  Some solos appear in the band songs.  Kids audition for these spots.  But this concert features some other talented instrumentalists, including pianists.  And even courageous kids who are improvising over Blues chords.  Really cool.”
“Who are some key members that you plan to see on the stage?” She pondered the question,  “Great question, but impossible for me to answer.  The band is a team and each and every player is a key member.  They are each fantastic individuals, but awesome when they unite in concert!”