Detroit Catholic Central High Soccer Wins State Championship

Kyle Pierson

This is when the final whistle blew and Detroit Catholic Central ran to the student section to celebrate after winning the State Championship game!

Kyle Pierson, Reporter

The High School State Championship was November 4th, 2017 at Rochester Hills Stoney Creek High School. The event started at noon. The teams that competed for the Championship were Detroit Catholic Central and Walled Lake Central.

Detroit Catholic Central (C.C.) won the State Championship. This was the first time C.C. has ever won a Soccer State Championship in their school’s history. The final score was 1-0. The game was decided when Ryan Pierson, the senior captain for Catholic Central, dream a penalty kick in the 73rd minute of the game and scored! 

Walled Lake Central got to the finals by defeating Troy High School in the semi-finals, which was also won in penalty kicks. Catholic Central defeated East Kentwood High School 2-1 in the semi-finals. Both goals were scored by Ryan Pierson.

Soccer State Champion Winners by Year: 

2016: East Kentwood High School

2015: Grand Rapids Forest Hills Central

2014: Canton High School

2013: Ann Arbor Skyline High School

2012: East Kentwood High School

2011: Canton High School

2010: East Kentwood High School

“I was very excited and happy to make it Catholic Central’s first Soccer State Championship in school history,” Ryan Pierson answered after the game.  Congratulations to Catholic Central on winning the State Championship and good luck to other high school teams next year!