• November 6

Disaster Relief! Help Now!

Disaster+Relief+box+located+outside+the+office+of+West+Middle+School.+
Disaster Relief box located outside the office of West Middle School.

Isabella Blake

Isabella Blake

Isabella Blake, Reporter

You can help! Not many people help with Disaster Relief, but many people need it. Disaster Relief has been going on for about a year to two years. It has managed by Red Cross and only the Red Cross. The point of it is to help the people who have dealt with damage to their homes once disaster strikes! 

Who does it? Disaster Relief is something run by American Red Cross and only them. On their website, it states: “No one else does this: not the government, not other charities.” American Red Cross has been doing this for awhile. Many people know the American Red Cross as the people who take blood, but the organization is very invested in helping people who have been through a lot.

What is it? Disaster Relief is A helpful organization that helps families and other people that have experienced multiple damages to there home. Some disasters include tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods. The Red Cross provides places for families to sleep, have shelter, and gives them food. Families may stay there for as long as they need. The Red Cross website states, “The Red Cross opens shelters to make sure people have a safe place to stay, a hot meal and access to other support from trained volunteers. Every night a person stays in a shelter counts as one overnight stay.”

Why Is American Red Cross doing this? The company is participating in the organization because they feel that everyone deserves a place to stay and eat. They tell more about it on their website.“Red Cross health and mental health volunteers travel to disaster sites to help people cope. Health workers can provide first aid treatment for injuries, monitor the well-being of people staying in Red Cross shelters, and replace prescription medications or eyeglasses.”  And that is just a couple of the many things that they do.

How can you help? You can help by donated canned goods, toothbrushes, clothes, shoes, and some deodorant but also much more you can donate all that to multiple places that hold a disaster relief bins. You can also donate money to the American Red Cross association to help them with money to buy the supplies they need to help the families. Did you know that there are nearly 64,000 disaster responses yearly, we can help that number decrease.

Donate and help out today! Another person that is helping out Disaster Relief is a local boy scout. He has a bin located right outside of the West Middle School office right next to the lost and found. Deorderant, toothbrushes, toothpastes, socks, and any other essentials are welcomed. Please donate today and help a very important cause!