Phones are Bad for Us!

West+students+cell+phones.+

Olivia Stults

West students’ cell phones.

Olivia Stults, Reporter

iPhones, Androids, and many other electronic devices hurting people all over the world! Many illnesses and broken relationships are caused by phone use. For the past 3-4 years, social media has become a huge part of our lives. Kids and adults seem to want the newest technology and post their lives on social media. 

You may think that sitting on your phone in your room for 20 to 30 is fine, but really, it isn’t. Not socializing and interacting is not healthy. You can get very sick and have some really bad side effects, for example, depression and anxiety. An article by Samuel Hunley from Emory University explained that there is something called an internet addiction. An internet addiction causes a lot of stress and can be linked to depression and anxiety. He also spoke about “the fear of missing out”. This is when people are constantly checking their smartphones because they don’t want to miss out on anything.

Mrs. Kozler believes that phones and other devices are a major distraction. Her own children would have to set their phones in another room so they could focus on homework and studying. Phones are not just a problem at home. They can also be an issue at school. Mrs. Kozler also said that they can be issues in the classroom because kids are not mature enough to keep the phone away and keep them in lockers or pockets.

West students, it is time to put the phone down and socialize. Face to face interactions is more valuable than a text message.