• October 22We have a full day of school on Halloween!!!!

Phones are Bad for Us!

West+students%27+cell+phones.+
West students' cell phones.

West students' cell phones.

Olivia Stults

Olivia Stults

West students' cell phones.

Olivia Stults, Reporter

iPhones, Androids, and many other electronic devices hurting people all over the world! Many illnesses and broken relationships are caused by phone use. For the past 3-4 years, social media has become a huge part of our lives. Kids and adults seem to want the newest technology and post their lives on social media. 

You may think that sitting on your phone in your room for 20 to 30 is fine, but really, it isn’t. Not socializing and interacting is not healthy. You can get very sick and have some really bad side effects, for example, depression and anxiety. An article by Samuel Hunley from Emory University explained that there is something called an internet addiction. An internet addiction causes a lot of stress and can be linked to depression and anxiety. He also spoke about “the fear of missing out”. This is when people are constantly checking their smartphones because they don’t want to miss out on anything.

Mrs. Kozler believes that phones and other devices are a major distraction. Her own children would have to set their phones in another room so they could focus on homework and studying. Phones are not just a problem at home. They can also be an issue at school. Mrs. Kozler also said that they can be issues in the classroom because kids are not mature enough to keep the phone away and keep them in lockers or pockets.

West students, it is time to put the phone down and socialize. Face to face interactions is more valuable than a text message.

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Phones are Bad for Us!”

1. Nailah spencer on October 31st, 2018 11:54 am

Nice article! has great points being social is better than being unsocial in text

2. Caitlin on October 31st, 2018 11:57 am

I think that we are staying on our phones for too long, even though it’s fun it’s bad for our eyes and can leave people with blurry vision.

3. Maddie Andrews on October 31st, 2018 12:01 pm

I like all the research that you did!

4. Hannah Comar on October 31st, 2018 12:06 pm

I agree that phones are bad for us. Although I love my phone, I am trying to limit myself from being on it as best as I can.

5. Bob Ross つ◕ل͜◕)つ on November 2nd, 2018 12:36 pm

I like fortnite, fortnite is cool so is this article

6. liamᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ on November 2nd, 2018 12:38 pm

you only need a phone to text or call but do whatever you want ╰(◉͜ʖ◉)ԅ†. * ・ 。゚

7. hunter on November 2nd, 2018 12:40 pm

all phone they are life

8. AAron lenart on November 2nd, 2018 12:54 pm

phons are good for you

9. spotify on November 2nd, 2018 12:57 pm

I honestly agree but it is hard for me to agree because I love social media so much that it is very hard for me to agree that it is very bad for my health. for some reason I guess the article is not wrong because some of my friends can be stressed or depressed because of the media. I’ve seen so many times that people are not feeling good because of smartphones. I am sorta scared what smartphone companies have planned next for the buyers and the people that are gonna buy the newer versions of smartphones. In 2028 this world will not be as good as it could possibly be because all if this technology. Just if phones were first meant for what they were supposed to be because know I am one of those people that love smartphones and am happy for what they do but at the same time not really liking the smartphones.

10. Henry Curran on November 7th, 2018 11:39 am

Not trying to be mean, but phones don’t cause actual sicknesses other than headaches from the lack of circulation in your blood. Phones give off radio waves which are non-ionizing to humans. If they were ionizing, then we would get actual sicknesses. But I do agree that you should stop looking at your phone for every hour to get some fresh air and to blink your eyes.

11. Brooklynn Stockton on November 9th, 2018 12:41 pm

I totally agree and I have experienced this in the past by not getting my homework done and having to stay up late doing it 🙁

12. teddy ewers on November 9th, 2018 12:44 pm

pub g mobile is the best, but I also think phones are bad so I try to limit myself to at most 36 games a day instead of 50

13. liam on November 9th, 2018 12:59 pm

social media is a risk of being exploited/exposed to the public

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

Homework is a Waste of Time

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

Passing Time Needs to Change

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

West Needs a Soccer Team!

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

We Need More Sports and Clubs at West!

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

Playstation Vs. Xbox

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

West Needs a School Store!

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

Minecraft vs. Roblox

• Phones are Bad for Us!

Opinion

We Need More Student-Run Clubs!

Phones are Bad for Us!