Teachers Should Give Out Extra Credit!

A+picture+of+a+failing+paper.+

A picture of a failing paper.

Ava Obrock and Olivia Stults

Here at West Middle School, there are many teachers that give out extra credit and many that don’t. West students want to know why a child with a struggling grade wouldn’t be given the option of extra credit?

Why do some teachers here at West choose to not give extra credit? Whereas some other teachers do give out extra credit points? We asked many teachers their viewpoint of extra credit. Mrs. Holten told us she gives the option to have extra credit so that students have a cushion in case they are struggling so there grade doesn’t go down.

Yet, when we asked Mr. Majzack and Mr. Durocher that same question, they both said students need to earn their grade in the class. Mr. Majzack used this example of someone in medical school: If a surgeon is failing some of their classes, then get extra credit to raise their grade, when its time to give someone surgery, the surgeon might kill someone because they didn’t really understand their classes, they just had extra credit to pass.  

Some kids here at West think that more teachers should hand out extra credit points because it is their responsibility to keep their grade up and sometimes it is hard to do if they flunk a test. As Mrs. Holten said, we should have some “cushion” for this reason.  We are still kids and we make mistakes!

Even though many other teachers give out extra credit, there are many that don’t. The term extra credit is really just extra work,  so really we are earning the points! 

We aren’t just writing this to call out teachers, but to inform them of how we feel. If you’re a teacher, please consider how students here at West feel. To hear first hand from students, make sure you check out the video above. Always remember that there is no elevator to success. we have to take the stairs.