Suicide Prevention Saves Lives

Jack Kielbaso

Suicide Prevention pamphlet

Jack Kielbaso, Reporter

Suicide prevention is the effort of preventing an individual from taking their own life. Frank Ruggirello, Director of Partnerships and External Affairs, stated that “The number of individuals committing suicide has increased over the years.” There are several contributing factors to suicide, two of which are depression and substance abuse. Suicide is a global problem. In fact, according to the World Health Organization, “Close to 800,000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds.”

Family members, school staff, and friends can help someone who is struggling by recognizing the signs and getting the individual help as soon as possible. Some signs to look for are talking about feelings of hopelessness or lacking purpose, increasing the use of alcohol or drugs; acting anxious, agitated, or reckless; sleeping too little or too much; withdrawing or feeling isolated, and displaying extreme mood swings.

P-CCS has a group of social workers and school psychologists who help students every day. One way to help someone who is having suicidal thoughts is by talking to them so they know others care about them.  If a friend shares concerning thoughts with you make sure to reach out to an adult to get your friend the help they need.

There are many places to get support. The AFSP has a hotline for anyone who needs help.  The phone number is 800=273-8255 or text to TALKto741741. Families can also consult their family doctor who can put them in contact with professionals who can help.