Stargirl Book Review

Melina Bekiares and Genevieve Gladd

Need another book recommendation? How about Stargirl?

Jerry Spinelli wrote Stargirl in 2000. Stargirl is about Stargirl Caraway, a new girl at Mica High School in Mica, Arizona. She is eccentric and unique in a way, everything she does is very different from what other people do. (In a good way) But she is shamed for everything she does differently. It’s not like other books about people who don’t fit in; This book will make you think a lot and maybe change your mind about some things. It’s a really good book for high school students, but middle schoolers can read it too to get an experience of what high school is like. 

Gen Boster, West 8th grader states: “It was good, I liked the characters. I liked how different Stargirl is.” To answer the question, ‘would you recommend it?’ Gen exclaims, “Yeah, I would.” Stargirl is not your normal everyday girl who wants to ‘fit in’. Typically, I don’t like these types of books, but this one is different. The literature and narrating are very complex and it binds you together. But, most of all, the characters. Once you are done reading, you feel like you’ve been in the main character’s life, and you are their own best friend. You’ve gotten to know them so well, that you feel like you are a part of them. You’ve been in their shoes for so long, that you actually can relate to their feelings and everyday problems. That’s just the magic of Stargirl, and books in general. But this book is definitely different. 

Mrs. Horvath, 7th grade ELA and journalism teacher, states, “We originally read it in 8th grade ELA classes. Since then, because it’s actually an older novel, different books were selected for 8th graders to read.” Mrs. Horvath says, “There’s been a push. Instead of reading the same book, the district really wants kids to be able to have a say in what they read and choose their own books. However, I really liked the book Stargirl, and I feel like it brought out perspectives that we don’t always hear from. I think the themes and lessons are very powerful in that book.” Overall, Mrs. Horvath thinks that it is a great book and perfect for middle schoolers. She thinks that we should bring it back to 7th grade.