• October 22We have a full day of school on Halloween!!!!

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Chloe+Pangborn+and+Brooke+McCollum+wearing+shorts+in+school.+
Chloe Pangborn and Brooke McCollum wearing shorts in school.

Macey Fulkerson and Virginia Holland

Do you think the dress code is fair? Many girls think that the dress code is unfair to girls.  Many people have noticed how girls are always getting in trouble for what they wear and that boys are never getting in trouble for what they are wearing.  Some of the dress code policies that girls don’t like are: shorts have to be finger lengths and that tank tops must be three fingers.

Many girls think that the dress code is unfair. 80% of 16 girls, at West Middle School, think that the dress code is not fair to both genders. But 80.7% don’t like the dress code. We only talked to 16 girls but a lot more people at West Middle School who think that the dress code is unfair.

We asked some girls how they would change the dress code: “I would change it where we could wear shoulderless shirts because SHOULDER ARE NOT OFFENDING AT ALL!” Chloe Pangborn answered. “Not make short requirements ‘fingertip length’ because everyone’s arm and torso lengths are different,” stated Rachel Limpan.

The reason that girls think that the dress code is unfair to girls is, “Because the dress code only applies to girls, and only girls get dress coded,” Rebekah Stopford claims.

Ainsley Lloyd says, “All boys shorts are to the knees but girls shorts are shorter than fingertip length. Boys can get by easily but girls are dress coded all the time. And girls can’t show their shoulders which is unfair.”

There were also some girls that think the dress code is fair and does not need to be changed.

We talked to Mrs. Howe, a counselor at West, and she explained why we have the dress code. She says how clothes that don’t follow the dress code are distracting to students who are trying to learn. Mrs. Howe states, “Also, especially, for females, we don’t want them to wear something and then someone makes them feel really uncomfortable.” Mrs. Howe does say that the dress code mainly affects girls, she states, “Now, basically in this day and age, yes it mainly affects girls.” She also says, “ Yes, there are short shorts out there, but there is a time and a place to wear them and school is not one, but right now boys shorts are long.” Mrs. Howe thinks that the dress code is fair and that clothes that don’t follow the dress code should only be worn outside of school.

The dress code policies are shorts and skirts must be fingertip length even with leggings. Garments should not expose underclothing, shirts must cover shoulders, no bare midriffs, no sunglasses, no discriminating clothing, no clothes that are considered dangerous, for example, wallet chains and pointed rings, and no hoods up inside the school.

Teachers and staff have the right to ask you to change if clothes are too distracting. For more information on the school’s dress code, look at the K-12 student handbook. Those are the rules in the dress code, but not everyone agrees with them. If you think that the dress code is unfair, you should talk to the counselors or principal to try and change the dress code!

10 Comments

10 Responses to “The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!”

1. isabella maes on June 6th, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, I think that it is very unfair. you say boys might get distracted but we should not have to be taken away from our important classes just because our shorts are not longer then our finger tips. If boys get distracted then they should be the ones who need to be talked to not us! I have to try on almost all of my shorts and, i have really long arms, I cant wear any shorts. its tough to fond a pair of shorts that are not expensive, my style, comfortable and in dress code.

2. Samantha on August 29th, 2018 11:43 pm

ok so yea i get the whole guys get distracted stuff but seriously there no need to punish girls it completely sick and disgusting that you have to body shame them to cover up bc guys can’t focus like that’s their problem why not you teach a class about it but making girls suffer is horrible because lots of girls have to wear basketball shorts bc there arms are too long so what are you gonna do about it nothing your just gonna punish them because they have a beautiful body but long arms it’s sick it really is so please consider changing this because honestly it’s bad.

3. Baby on September 12th, 2018 7:24 pm

Dress code is so unfair because we show our uniqueness in our clothing. And some people have long or short arms and what if you’re arms have a disability. So not fair peeps out there

4. alie on September 26th, 2018 12:04 pm

i can not where jenes whith wholes above the knees why

5. bella on October 5th, 2018 1:05 pm

I think that the dress code is totally unfair. This needs to change!!!!

6. aubrey schepke on October 5th, 2018 3:15 pm

i also think it unfair because anytime you try too where something that you enjoy, like for example a hat or a tan-top. yes, i get the whole boy thing checking you out. but you should be able too express your feelings on how you dress. the dress code do’snt allow you too where a dress above the knees or where shorts that are past your arms. students here at west middle school should be able too do that.

7. Emma Culhane on October 19th, 2018 12:53 pm

I think it is unfair for the girls because in the summer time or if it is very hot some girl might like to wear very short shorts.But boys get to pick whatever they want to wear.

8. Eva Berninger on October 19th, 2018 1:01 pm

its unfair to girls i have long arms and my longest shorts are to short. we need to do something about it

9. unknown on October 26th, 2018 12:44 pm

I think this dress code is unfair.

10. Anna Teslak on November 9th, 2018 12:23 pm

WHAT? Why is every piece of news I find about discrimination?! There is nothing against our gender. It’s only the styles they market towards us! If a boy (or another girl) is distracted by our clothing, do you think it’s their fault that their eyes are drawn to us? Cut it out, people. There is no unfairness or sexism anywhere in this dress code!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Phones are Bad for Us!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Homework is a Waste of Time

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Passing Time Needs to Change

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

West Needs a Soccer Team!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

We Need More Sports and Clubs at West!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Playstation Vs. Xbox

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

West Needs a School Store!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Minecraft vs. Roblox

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

We Need More Student-Run Clubs!

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!