• November 20Spring Break is next week! April 1-7!

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Chloe+Pangborn+and+Brooke+McCollum+wearing+shorts+in+school.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Chloe Pangborn and Brooke McCollum wearing shorts in school.

Macey Fulkerson and Virginia Holland

Do you think the dress code is fair? Many girls think that the dress code is unfair to girls.  Many people have noticed how girls are always getting in trouble for what they wear and that boys are never getting in trouble for what they are wearing.  Some of the dress code policies that girls don’t like are: shorts have to be finger lengths and that tank tops must be three fingers.

Many girls think that the dress code is unfair. 80% of 16 girls, at West Middle School, think that the dress code is not fair to both genders. But 80.7% don’t like the dress code. We only talked to 16 girls but a lot more people at West Middle School who think that the dress code is unfair.

We asked some girls how they would change the dress code: “I would change it where we could wear shoulderless shirts because SHOULDER ARE NOT OFFENDING AT ALL!” Chloe Pangborn answered. “Not make short requirements ‘fingertip length’ because everyone’s arm and torso lengths are different,” stated Rachel Limpan.

The reason that girls think that the dress code is unfair to girls is, “Because the dress code only applies to girls, and only girls get dress coded,” Rebekah Stopford claims.

Ainsley Lloyd says, “All boys shorts are to the knees but girls shorts are shorter than fingertip length. Boys can get by easily but girls are dress coded all the time. And girls can’t show their shoulders which is unfair.”

There were also some girls that think the dress code is fair and does not need to be changed.

We talked to Mrs. Howe, a counselor at West, and she explained why we have the dress code. She says how clothes that don’t follow the dress code are distracting to students who are trying to learn. Mrs. Howe states, “Also, especially, for females, we don’t want them to wear something and then someone makes them feel really uncomfortable.” Mrs. Howe does say that the dress code mainly affects girls, she states, “Now, basically in this day and age, yes it mainly affects girls.” She also says, “ Yes, there are short shorts out there, but there is a time and a place to wear them and school is not one, but right now boys shorts are long.” Mrs. Howe thinks that the dress code is fair and that clothes that don’t follow the dress code should only be worn outside of school.

The dress code policies are shorts and skirts must be fingertip length even with leggings. Garments should not expose underclothing, shirts must cover shoulders, no bare midriffs, no sunglasses, no discriminating clothing, no clothes that are considered dangerous, for example, wallet chains and pointed rings, and no hoods up inside the school.

Teachers and staff have the right to ask you to change if clothes are too distracting. For more information on the school’s dress code, look at the K-12 student handbook. Those are the rules in the dress code, but not everyone agrees with them. If you think that the dress code is unfair, you should talk to the counselors or principal to try and change the dress code!

20 Comments

20 Responses to “The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!”

1. isabella maes on June 6th, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, I think that it is very unfair. you say boys might get distracted but we should not have to be taken away from our important classes just because our shorts are not longer then our finger tips. If boys get distracted then they should be the ones who need to be talked to not us! I have to try on almost all of my shorts and, i have really long arms, I cant wear any shorts. its tough to fond a pair of shorts that are not expensive, my style, comfortable and in dress code.

2. Samantha on August 29th, 2018 11:43 pm

ok so yea i get the whole guys get distracted stuff but seriously there no need to punish girls it completely sick and disgusting that you have to body shame them to cover up bc guys can’t focus like that’s their problem why not you teach a class about it but making girls suffer is horrible because lots of girls have to wear basketball shorts bc there arms are too long so what are you gonna do about it nothing your just gonna punish them because they have a beautiful body but long arms it’s sick it really is so please consider changing this because honestly it’s bad.

3. Baby on September 12th, 2018 7:24 pm

Dress code is so unfair because we show our uniqueness in our clothing. And some people have long or short arms and what if you’re arms have a disability. So not fair peeps out there

4. alie on September 26th, 2018 12:04 pm

i can not where jenes whith wholes above the knees why

5. bella on October 5th, 2018 1:05 pm

I think that the dress code is totally unfair. This needs to change!!!!

6. aubrey schepke on October 5th, 2018 3:15 pm

i also think it unfair because anytime you try too where something that you enjoy, like for example a hat or a tan-top. yes, i get the whole boy thing checking you out. but you should be able too express your feelings on how you dress. the dress code do’snt allow you too where a dress above the knees or where shorts that are past your arms. students here at west middle school should be able too do that.

7. Emma Culhane on October 19th, 2018 12:53 pm

I think it is unfair for the girls because in the summer time or if it is very hot some girl might like to wear very short shorts.But boys get to pick whatever they want to wear.

8. Eva Berninger on October 19th, 2018 1:01 pm

its unfair to girls i have long arms and my longest shorts are to short. we need to do something about it

9. unknown on October 26th, 2018 12:44 pm

I think this dress code is unfair.

10. Anna Teslak on November 9th, 2018 12:23 pm

WHAT? Why is every piece of news I find about discrimination?! There is nothing against our gender. It’s only the styles they market towards us! If a boy (or another girl) is distracted by our clothing, do you think it’s their fault that their eyes are drawn to us? Cut it out, people. There is no unfairness or sexism anywhere in this dress code!

11. Mckenna on January 7th, 2019 1:16 pm

i have this pair of pants that have one hole above the knee and it hardly shows any skin. I’ve been dress coded for them before but i ignored the warning because it was ridiculous but now i’m being threatened to be expelled if i continue to break the dress code policy. The policy is completely unfair and beats girls down. A girls self-esteem is extremely fragile at this age (13-18) and can be destroyed so easily. especially by someone of authority. the teachers and principles should be telling you you look nice today and being kind but they are beating their students down constantly.

12. Anna on January 28th, 2019 9:53 am

School dress code???? UNFAIR this is how it goes “a teenage girl rushes to school and just puts on a loose t shirt and sweats. Wen she gets to school she get sent to the principals office because they can see her shoulder and I bet the teacher would be like this… ” NOW CLASS WHAT IS x time….. JESSICA BURBACK IS THAT A SHOULDER I SEE?? DRESS CODE VIOLTION MISS …SO INAPROPRIATE I MEAN HOW OFFENDING THAT I CAN SEE YOUR SHOULDER

13. McKenna on February 4th, 2019 2:57 pm

I think the dress code is completely unfair to girls! Boys can get away with anything but girls are being targeted. How are boys distracted by shoulders?

14. Someone on February 6th, 2019 12:15 pm

But there are so may other clothes that are modest and are comfy, cool for hot weather, and are still cute and don’t show of things. I am part of the church called The Church Of Jesus Christ Of later Day Saints and I where shorts to my knees and shirts with sleeves that cover my shoulder. If I can love through it, you can. I would hate to where short shorts and tank tops becuse I would feel uncomfortable and feel like I couldnt move a lot.

15. i dont think its fair on February 21st, 2019 12:33 pm

i got dresscoded like three times in one week i got dress coded for one wereing boots the second one was having a little bit of my side showing and guess what my shorts were just a tiny bit shorter than my thum and guess what i had to go home and change . the women that did that to me with my boots waas like ” GET OVER HERE UR BOOTS HAVE MORE THAN A CENTIMETER OFF THE GROUND, GO HOME AND CHANGE OR ELSE!!!!

16. brooke on February 28th, 2019 12:17 pm

guys only wear sweats or shorts and pants and any shirt they find on there floor but girls have so many outfits to choose from so when you make this dress code it limits these option. and that’s not fair girls have so many different styles way more than guys do. and i’m not saying all guys have just one style but girls have way more.

17. maya on March 10th, 2019 6:59 pm

The dress codes are not fair AT ALL!!! If it’s like 85-90 degrees outside the boys are allowed to wear whatever they want but the girls get in trouble for wearing SHORTS. I mean the boys are wearing shorts why don’t they get in trouble it’s VERY sexist for people to be yelling at girls about wearing short and then telling them to leave the classroom cause they are distracting the boys from doing their work. like it’s hot outside and we can’t wear SHORTS it’s very sexist. it’s not fair for the girls AT ALL!!!!!

18. kayla on March 27th, 2019 11:31 am

instead of teaching girls of what they shouldnt wear, how about teaching boys that GIRLS ARE NOT SEX OBJECTS!!!!!!!!!!

19. shawntinice on April 9th, 2019 1:22 pm

Dress Code is ridiculous!!! my friends and I will wear strapless shirts or tank tops and we get dress coded ans have to change our shirts!!! my friend goes to a different school then me and if they get dress coded they have to get send home. Honestly dress code is freaking dumb and they should let us wear what we want. I live in Arizona and its hot as hell!!!! but then the guys can wear what they want and not get dress coded.

20. shorty on April 12th, 2019 12:05 pm

I think it is unfair that you can’t wear a shirt that shows your shoulders because your bra strap shows like no its not are fault that boys can handle them selves

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Primetime vs. Homeroom

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Breaking News: Survivor Holocaust Assembly Canceled!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Lan School, is it legal?

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Bathroom Passes: Why do we have them?

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Don’t Shop, Adopt!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Are Our School Lunches Satisfying Students?

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Cliques: Are you in one?

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

Study Hall Instead of Primetime!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

The Truth about the NWEA Testing!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

Opinion

How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!