Farewell Mrs. Hammoud!

Viviana Buzzelli and Abby Hawkins

Mrs. Rania Hammoud, West Middle School’s very own Assistant Principal, will say her last goodbye to us Friday, Oct. 12, 2018. After all of the marvelous work she’s done for the school, she has been chosen for a new, higher level job at the Curriculum Center near East Middle School. Her new job’s official title will be Curriculum Coordinator of Social Studies and School Climate. Mrs. Hammoud has dedicated her energy into every student, teacher, and staff member.

Mrs. Hammoud has been a fantastic AP and an even better person. She is intelligent and caring, but most of all, passionate to see her students succeed. “I want people to remember me as someone who was always willing to assist a student. Whether it was something as simple as a locker issue, or something as difficult as dealing with a bullying situation, helping students problem-solve and know how to have a better experience here at West has always been my main goal.”Along with working as an assistant principal, Hammoud was also a Teacher Consultant with the Michigan Geographic Alliance during the summer months.

Mrs. Hammoud is leaving West, but she is staying within the Plymouth-Canton community. On September 11, 2018, she accepted her new role and according to her, the job is “right up her alley.” The work includes working with the Social Studies curriculum. She enjoys advising teachers on lesson plans, and other ways to teach. When the position became available, she felt that it was a perfect fit, especially of the fact that school climate intercepts with PBIS, which Mrs. Hammoud helped to start here at West.

Of course, everyone’s wondering who will be the new assistant principal here at West. Well, the school board has recently interviewed eleven candidates and has narrowed it down to the top two. We will know the person taking her place by the end of next week.

Mrs. Hammoud has been here for almost six years and has had many great experiences along the way, which she will miss almost as much as we will miss her. She has always loved seeing people have fun at the PBIS rewards, and having fun with them. Mrs. Hammoud went to Cedar Point twice with the eighth graders and had the time of her life. She even went on the top thrill dragster, though she would be more than happy to never ride it again.

Hammoud also tagged along on the annual Washington DC trip with the eighth graders a few years ago and will miss laughing, living, and loving the sights.

Of course, she will especially miss all the students and the relationships she built with them. “Even students who tend to get in trouble and not make the best choices when they’re here in school, I still care very much about those students and try my best to help them succeed.”

Mrs. Hammoud has genuinely been the best assistant principal to ever go through West Middle School. She believes it is the best school in town, if not in the whole USA, and will be back to help the new AP adjust to the situation, as well as to visit everyone else who loves her so very much.