• October 22We have a full day of school on Halloween!!!!

The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Nailah+Spencer%2C+seventh+grade+journalist%2C+is+wearing+a+skirt+that+does+not+follow+our+school%27s+dress+code.+
Nailah Spencer, seventh grade journalist, is wearing a skirt that does not follow our school's dress code.

Olivia Stults

Olivia Stults

Nailah Spencer and Olivia Stults

You’re probably familiar with the West dress code and how strict it is, but did you know that it is a district-wide dress code? That’s right! It is not just middle school students that these rules apply to. The elementary and high schools also suffer from dress code rules. We did some research to see what students and adults think of the dress code.

We feel strongly that the dress code targets girls and some of the rules are unfair. We heard from some current West students and one 6th grader made it a point that not all girls are comfortable in wearing clothes that follow those guidelines.

Principal Mr. Smiley, and Vice Principal Mrs. Hammoud, both understand that not all girls and boys are the same shapes and sizes. They understand that some shorts are shorter on some people. However, we haven’t seen the rules change.

The student handbook states that shorts need to be fingertip length. This could be hard for some people because of the shape of their body. Many kids at West have had issues with this because it’s hard to find the perfect pair of shorts that fit you.

Mrs. Hammoud addressed how students should dress modestly because when you get older,  the workplace also has a dress code.

Kyle Dani, another 7th grader at West, expressed, “I worry about wearing hats and hoods. I don’t’ think that rule is fair.” Grace Cheetam, a seventh grader, said, “Not many parts of the dress code apply to boys. We [girls] can’t wear shorts or spaghetti straps. There aren’t a lot of shorts out there that are in style that fit the dress code. There are athletic shorts that are long enough but are not passed fingertip length. “

We can see the difference of concerns between genders. We understand that clothing is very different within the two. Female students have to be extra careful with the dress code. This is not fair.

We agree that students come to school to learn, but students, especially female students spend a lot of their energy worrying about if they are going to be sent to the office.   

We understand that coming to school in spandex short shorts are not acceptable,  but middle schoolers want to wear what they feel good in.

Dress codes do set rules and some aspects and boundaries the can help you make appropriate clothing decision for when you’re older. However, we feel there should be a change. Ava a 7th grader at West explained, “I have had issues with the dress codes, but now I take extra care with what I wear”.   

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!”

1. Parker Foley on October 10th, 2018 12:13 pm

I agree with this article

2. Anna Teslak on November 9th, 2018 12:27 pm

Why? What’s wrong with the dress code? It’s not against girls, just the clothes marketed towards them. It’s reasonable. I agree that students should be comfortable at school, but that doesn’t mean that people should come to school naked just because clothes are uncomfortable.

3. Lizzy Gutkowski on November 9th, 2018 12:39 pm

It feels like girls are being targeted for the dress code.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

Phones are Bad for Us!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

Homework is a Waste of Time

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

Passing Time Needs to Change

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

West Needs a Soccer Team!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

We Need More Sports and Clubs at West!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

The Dress Code is Unfair to Girls!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

Playstation Vs. Xbox

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

West Needs a School Store!

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

Minecraft vs. Roblox

• The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!

Opinion

We Need More Student-Run Clubs!

The Dress Code is Unfair to Females!