• November 20Enjoy Winter Break!

Homework is a Waste of Time

Ava+Obrock%2C+Olivia+Stults%2C+Viviana+Buzzelli%2C+and+Caitlyn+Blasch+work+on+homework+during+the+school+day.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Homework is a Waste of Time

Ava Obrock, Olivia Stults, Viviana Buzzelli, and Caitlyn Blasch work on homework during the school day.

Nailah Spencer

Nailah Spencer

Nailah Spencer

Nailah Spencer, Reporter

Kids at West Middle School say Homework is a waste of time! Did you know that West Middle School does not require teachers to give out homework to students? “Teachers give out homework according to how they feel about a student or a class’s learning process,” Mr. Smiley told me. I did some research, interviews, and additional thinking to see how some of the students and staff feel about homework.

”I strongly dislike homework because it stresses me out. We go to school to for many hours a day to learn, I don’t get why we have to go home and spend 1-2 more hours on homework,” Hannah Comar, a 7th grader at West, explained to me.

According to the Drop Out Prevention Center (D.O.P.C.), “32.1% of students from 8th grade through high school drop out each year because they can’t keep up with all their homework assignments.” This research was done in the United States.

Mrs. O’dell, a sixth-grade teacher at West, explained to me,  “I have over the years seen behavior changes with students.”

Academic Partnerships states, “When kids know they will have to go home from school and work to do more work at home they become disengaged and don’t come to school the next day ready to pay attention and are usually talkative and disruptive for no time to themselves after school”. Mrs. O’Dell states, “Yes,  have seen students overwhelmed with work, but behavior changes, not so much. Mostly just [students’] grades dropping.”

Mrs. Odell reflects, “I give it out so I can see the students’ progress, it also builds on good habits, like time management and organizational skills.”

Mrs. Horvath’s Journalism states that they can have anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours of homework a night between all their classes.

Free time to yourself is essential, whether it is for sports or just time with your family. Free time gives you a chance to refresh and get ready for the new day to come.

20 Responses to “Homework is a Waste of Time”

1. Lizzy Gutkowski on October 26th, 2018 12:21 pm

I think homework is too stessful. It makes me have to stay up late and work on my homework.

2. Bob Ross on October 26th, 2018 12:45 pm

I get it homework is stress full but homework is good for us examples: Homework is like a mini quiz that lets the teachers know if you actually learned something in their class.

3. AAron on October 26th, 2018 12:48 pm

i think homework is a wast of time

4. AAron on October 26th, 2018 12:49 pm

i hate having to do work at home it is a wast of my time

5. unknown on October 29th, 2018 1:51 pm

homework is ok I always finish it in class so I don’t have homework relly

6. Caitlin Noe on October 31st, 2018 11:50 am

I like your picture a lot it is very creative and I agree homework is just a recap of what we learned.

7. Maddie Andrews on October 31st, 2018 11:57 am

I like your picture! I agree homework can be very stressful!

8. Maddie Andrews on October 31st, 2018 11:59 am

I like your picture and I agree, homework is very stressful!

9. Hannah Comar on October 31st, 2018 12:03 pm

I agree with this considering I was one of the interviewees. Great article Nailah!

10. Kyle Dani on October 31st, 2018 12:10 pm

This is a great article. I agree that teachers hand out way to much homework.

11. Dillon Starnes on October 31st, 2018 12:12 pm

This is an excellent article, Nailah!

12. Madisyn Hackett on November 2nd, 2018 12:42 pm

Homework is very stressful!

13. Ryan M on November 2nd, 2018 12:47 pm

Homework is like telling a dog never to play or lick your face again

14. the derp on November 2nd, 2018 12:53 pm

homework helps us but can sometimes be a waste of time

15. finn st john on November 15th, 2018 8:16 am

homework is not good. we are at school for 7 hours and some of us stay at club (after school thing) till 4 5 or even 6! homework is just what we were doing that day all over again but at home.

16. Jacob Mdelski on November 20th, 2018 12:44 pm

Homework can be good for us but it can just be too much for some students to handle.

17. The truth talker on November 20th, 2018 12:44 pm

Homework is too stressful, and is too time-consuming.

18. Jacob on November 20th, 2018 12:49 pm

Homework is useless because kids spend almost half their at school then having to worry about homework once they get home its to much pressure for kids our age, high schools should be the grade when homework starts and we know homework is supposed to prove what we learn but we don’t learn anything from test nor homework we just memorise it, do it, then we forget everything we learned because you have to then memorize other things and forget others. And that is why I think homework is a waste of time.

19. Joey on December 19th, 2018 12:39 pm

homework doesn’t do anything I just forget everything that teachers give homework on quicker then usual.

20. joey on December 19th, 2018 12:40 pm

I do agree that homework is a waste of time because we work all day and then we get homework so we have to work at home too.

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Bathroom Passes: Why do we have them?

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Don’t Shop, Adopt!

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Are Our School Lunches Satisfying Students?

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Cliques: Are you in one?

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Study Hall Instead of Primetime!

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

The Truth about the NWEA Testing!

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Students Dislike Limited Classroom Bathrooms Passes!

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Student Behavior in the Hallways is a Problem!

• Homework is a Waste of Time

Opinion

Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Homework is a Waste of Time