Sign up for Journalism Class!

Grace Cheetam and Caitlyn Blasch

In journalism, we write articles for thebite.org, which is a digital student-run newspaper. However, many West students do not know anything about the journalism elective. 

In journalism. seventh graders write news, sports, opinion, and feature articles for thebite.org. Journalism is a semester-long class taught by Mrs. Horvath. Viviana Buzzelli stated, “ Journalism is a fun experience with different people that I have not met before. You can do articles with them and when people post nice things about your article, it makes you feel good. At first, it was a little nerve-racking, but now it is really fun”. This is how Hannah Comar feels about journalism. It is hard to put your writing out on the internet for everyone to see. 

“It’s really fun and it gives me something to do in the middle of the day rather than just ELA,” Kyle Dani said about journalism. “It is a fun class.”

Mr. Smiley stated, “One of the most important things we teach in middle school is writing. In my mind journalism is the best way of teaching writing because there’s a real formula and it is not fluffy creative writing, It’s very factual and you get the facts and then write the facts.”

Besides writing, students make news videos, practice photography skills, read news articles, and play some team building games. We think that if you are a sixth grader at West right now, you should request journalism next year as an elective.