• November 20Enjoy Winter Break!

Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Students+leaving+the+lunch+room.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Students leaving the lunch room.

Students leaving the lunch room.

Maddie Andrews

Students leaving the lunch room.

Maddie Andrews

Maddie Andrews

Students leaving the lunch room.

Madeleine Andrews and Caitlin Noe

West Middle School students are getting rushed to eat lunch in only 20 minutes. This is causing students to have problems later on in the day.

There are a lot of problems people are having after they eat lunch. Students have to gobble down their lunch which leads to cramps or upset stomachs. Also, not eating enough leads to headaches and distraction later on in the day. Some students have extracurricular activities or clubs, then they don’t have enough time to eat or it gives them less time to work on their activity.

With having more time to eat, it can benefit you later in the day. If we even add five to ten minutes for lunch, then students will have more time to digest and chew their food. If people eat slower, then they will know when they are full and when to stop eating. This will help students avoid weight gain. Also, students will have enough time to finish their lunch, and not be distracted by hunger later in the day.

We interviewed two 7th graders at West to see what their thoughts were about lunch. Abigail Nabozny, who brings her lunch, and Annabelle Zinski, who buys lunch. Abigail thinks that lunch should be at least 25 minutes because she usually feels rushed. Abigail said that some people are slower eaters than others. Annabelle stated that “I feel rushed to eat.” Annabelle wishes lunch was at least 30 minutes.

We also interviewed Ms. Becky, our lunch manager, to see how she feels about the length of lunch. Ms. Becky stated that she doesn’t have enough time to serve everyone with lunch being only 20 minutes. When she does get to everyone, she feels rushed.

As you can see, having only 20 minutes to eat lunch doesn’t benefit students the way it could. How much time do you think we should have to eat lunch?

7 Responses to “Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!”

1. teddy ewers on December 19th, 2018 12:36 pm

I literally never get to finish my last meal which is usually a sandwich and it’s hecka annoying

2. The truth talker on December 21st, 2018 12:48 pm

Your definitely right all lunchtime gives me is time to finish my antre, not my chips.

3. Jack Leyden on January 9th, 2019 9:34 am

I think lunch is plenty long and I usually finish my lunch within about 10-15 minutes, even if I am buying. Some people eat quick, some people eat slow, which is 20 minutes is the perfect balance. You have more than enough time

4. Anna Teslak on January 9th, 2019 12:12 pm

I get yelled at ALL THE TIME because I don’t eat my lunch. It gets thrown out, which is a waste of food. Lunch should be longer so that this doesn’t happen. Also, I’ve actually gone home due to cramps and stomach pain, and it was actually acknowledged that I “probably just ate too fast”.
    This isn’t my fault, people. Short lunchtimes can actually send me home!

5. Lizzy Gutkowski on January 11th, 2019 12:40 pm

I don’t eat all of my food either. I think lunchtime should be 30 minutes long. I end up throwing the rest of the food I didn’t eat, into the garbage.

6. Jacob Lang on January 11th, 2019 1:00 pm

LUCH NEEDS TO BE LOUNGER YOU NEVER HAVE ANOF TIME EVEN IF YOU DONT TALK AND LUNCH IS A TIME FOR FRIENDS TO TALK SO PLEASE GIVE US MORE TIME

7. unknown on January 17th, 2019 1:52 pm

lunchtime is long I finish my lunch a few minutes before lunch ends

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Cliques: Are you in one?

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Study Hall Instead of Primetime!

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

The Truth about the NWEA Testing!

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Students Dislike Limited Classroom Bathrooms Passes!

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Student Behavior in the Hallways is a Problem!

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Teachers Should Give Out Extra Credit!

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Is Bullying a Problem at West?

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

• Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

Opinion

Snapchat vs. Instagram

Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!