• November 20Enjoy Winter Break!

How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

7th+grade+3rd+hour+gym+class+playing+soccer+at+West+
Back to Article
Back to Article

How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

7th grade 3rd hour gym class playing soccer at West

Emerson Lukomski

Emerson Lukomski

Emerson Lukomski

Abby Knauf and Maya Mitts

Boring pavement, kids talking, and basketballs bouncing. Kids at West think recess is boring because of the lack of activities and equipment.

We asked Ava Gotsis and Jacob Radford, both 6th-grade students, for their opinion about recess at West. Ava enjoys being outdoors with her friends but would like more activities, equipment and more things to do overall. Even though Ava likes recess, she would rather have it shorter or replace it with a fun class. Jacob, on the other hand, prefers being indoors and playing video games but would like to replace recess or have lots of other indoor options.

We asked Caitlin Noe and Parker Foley, both 7th-grade students, for their opinion on recess. Parker said he enjoys outdoor recess and playing football with his friends. Parker likes recess the way it is and does not think it should be changed. Caitlin, on the other hand, prefers indoor recess but would rather have no recess at all. Caitlin thinks that there are not enough activities to make it fun. Caitlin would like recess to be changed to a free period or class.

We asked Addison Bielecki and Damian Broyer, both 8th-grade students, for their opinion on recess. Addison likes outdoor recess and the break to talk with her friends and play tag. Even though Addison likes recess, she would like it if it was replaced with an elective. Damian, on the other hand, likes outdoor recess and would rather it be longer. When Damian has indoor recess he plays on his computer but thinks there are not enough things to do.  

We asked Mrs. Priest and Mr. Majszak about recess. Both teachers monitor recess. Mrs. Priest doesn’t know if all the kids enjoy recess but think it’s important for kids to get outside. Mrs. Priest thinks that replacing recess could be good, but it depends on what the options are. Mrs. Priest also thinks that it’s a good break and it lets kids socialize, but would rather have it with no phones. Mr. Majszak thinks kids enjoy recess, mainly if it’s warm out. He doesn’t think it would be a good idea to replace recess because kids need time for themselves. Mr. Majszak thinks recess is very important because the kids get a break to move and get fresh air.

Each student that we talked to all said the same thing, “Recess needs more activities.”

11 Comments

11 Responses to “How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?”

1. Lucy Kaiser on December 21st, 2018 12:47 pm

I really like recess, but I agree, we need more OPTIONS!!

2. Gabriel Follis on January 9th, 2019 9:55 am

What I hate the most is that there is a baseball field RIGHT NEXT TO THE BASKETBALL COURT, yet we CAN’T use it! Plus, when I try to play basketball, there are only two good balls, and the rest are partially deflated, so if I get on of the two, people wait around for me to shoot, and then take it. JUST INFLATE THEM HOW HARD IS IT TO INFLATE BASKETBALL?!?!?!

3. Anna Teslak on January 9th, 2019 12:28 pm

Yeah. Last year at Bird: WHEEEEEEE PLAYGROUND! I’M GONNA CLIMB UNTIL I PASS OUT!
    This year at West: Grass. Such interesting grass. I’m having the time of my life. Whee.

4. Jacob Lang on January 11th, 2019 12:56 pm

THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE DONT LIKE RECESS IS BECAUSE THERE ISNT MUC TO DO AND IM SPEAKING FROM MY EXPERIENCE AT MY OLD SCHOOL WE COULD AT LEAST USE ARE BASEBALL FIELDS TO PLAY KICKBALL AND STUFF SO PLEASE GIVE US MORE OPTIONS I MEAN HOW HARD IS IT !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

5. Jacob Radford on January 11th, 2019 12:57 pm

I also said I wanted there to be a room full of games instead of the collab station only have a few old games.

6. unknown johnny johnny yes papa on January 24th, 2019 11:03 am

I hate recces IT IS SOOOOOOOO COLD. no one wants to do anything because everyone can barely move because of the coldness. I also think we shouldn’t have to ask to go to the bathroom. I MEAN COME ON YOU ARE GOING TO SAY YES ANYWAYS AND IF THEY SAID NO THATS JUST SAYING “oh your about to pee on yourself nope you can’t go to the bathroom” come on

7. Thanos on January 25th, 2019 11:03 am

Yeah I guess It would be nice if we had more space and stuff to do at recces

8. Chloe Pangborn on February 22nd, 2019 12:55 pm

Hello, I would just like to say that you used my friend and I photo from last year and the same caption for the photo. Next time make sure to give credit!

9. Chloe Pangborn on February 22nd, 2019 12:55 pm

oops never mind:)

10. Isabel Gillay on March 8th, 2019 12:45 pm

I like recess but we need more things to keep us entertained because people that don’t want to brings a PBIS card out or forget to have nothing to do but stand around.

11. ewfhebjsertyuikjhgfdsdcvbnmewa on March 12th, 2019 8:55 am

for everyone saying its cold and you hate it, well if you start running or moving around you wont be cold anymore. And i think recess should be longer by 10 minutes so well have a 30 minute recess.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Bathroom Passes: Why do we have them?

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Don’t Shop, Adopt!

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Are Our School Lunches Satisfying Students?

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Cliques: Are you in one?

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Study Hall Instead of Primetime!

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

The Truth about the NWEA Testing!

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Students Dislike Limited Classroom Bathrooms Passes!

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Student Behavior in the Hallways is a Problem!

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Lunch Time Should be Longer for Students!

• How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?

Opinion

Teachers Should Give Out Extra Credit!

How Many Kids Really Enjoy Recess?