They’re Watching You! Cameras Will Be in WMS Soon!

Security+camera+image+from+Google+Doc+clip+art.+

Security camera image from Google Doc clip art.

Nailah Spencer, Reporter

On December 21, 2018, an E-Bulletin was sent out to the West students, staff, and families. In the e-bulletin, it stated that security cameras will be installed at WMS. Read the following blurb from E-bulletin below:  

SECURITY CAMERA INSTALLATION @ WMS
Security cameras and related technology will be installed at West Middle School in the evenings during the month of January. The funding for this project comes from the Wayne County Regional Enhancement Millage that was passed in 2016.

According to Mr. Smiley, “They have been working on the cameras at night starting in late December and are expected to be done early February”. The security cameras are being added to the building because of bullying, inappropriate actions, and negative student behavior. Mr. Smiley says, “The cameras will be helpful in situations so less investigation is done and problems can be resolved. There are not currently security cameras at West.”

The cameras are being put in the main areas like hallways, classrooms, and school entrances. The money to pay for these cameras came from a Wayne County bond issued for school security.

“I think security cameras are going to prevent kids from making bad decisions by just knowing there are cameras there,” Hannah Comar, a 7th grader at West, explained.  “I feel like school is going to be better and fewer problems will happen.”

How do you feel about the security cameras being added to West Middle School? Comment below!