West’s Take on the Ok2Say Assembly

Ok2Say+magnet+is+Mrs.+Horvaths+room.+

Ok2Say magnet is Mrs. Horvaths room.

Allison Hawkins, Reporter

On March 21, West had its annual Ok2Say assembly for all 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.

Ok2Say is a student safety program provided by the state of Michigan that allows students to anonymously report criminal activity or dangerous behaviors that go on in school. However, many students wonder how effective Ok2Say is and if the resource is taken seriously.

Mr. Smiley, principal of West Middle School, thinks so, “Yeah, we’ve had. It probably started about 4 years ago, and I bet we have had probably 10 different Ok2Say reports, some have been a little silly, some have been things we’ve already knew, and there’s been a few that have actually helped kids and we’ve been able to work with the kids or get them the help they need.”

No doubt that OK2Say has helped people, but many students wonder if Ok2say is taken seriously or used as much as it should be. Scarlet McMullen, a West seventh grader doesn’t think so, “Um, they don’t. I have never heard of anyone like [talking about it], but like I’ve heard lots of jokes.”  Ok2Say is a valuable program, but it should be taken seriously. If fake or joke tips are submitted, it could seriously distract from someone in need of help.

Students can use Ok2Say by using their website, app, email, phone number and hotline, and report issues like bullying, sexting, predators, self-harm, suicide, violence, and other threatening behaviors. Ok2Say phone number: 855-655-2729 or you can text Ok2Say at 652729 (Oky2Say).