7th Grade Cyberbullying Survey-Did it work?

Bully+box+in+the+Media+Center+at+West.+

Bully box in the Media Center at West.

Every year, seventh graders take a survey about cyberbullying during science class. Mrs. Frasier, who leads the survey, gives a presentation about cyberbullying and then all seventh-grade students fill out a survey.

The survey lists multiple actions that are considered to be “cyberbullying”. The students then have to put numbers 1, 2, or 3 next to each action. One represents that the students have never done that action before. Two represents that the students have done it once or twice. Three means that the student has done the action over 3 times.

In the end, students add up all the numbers and if their score adds up higher than 18,  you can consider yourself a “cyber bully”.

The students said that they do not think the survey will change behavior and the seventh grade just took it as “a joke”. On the other hand, the teachers hope it will change behavior and raise awareness to get kids to realize they may be doing something wrong if they have a score higher than an 18.

Mrs. Frasier stated, “If kids are higher than an 18 then that’s when they could really be doing something seriously wrong that could get them in some serious trouble like something illegal or something that could get them in trouble at school. So, if they’re in that category they need to step back and watch what they’re doing online.”