Who is WMS Favorite NFL Team?

There is still a lot of time until the 2021-2022 NFL actually starts its first game. The first game is set to kick off September 9th 2021. The first game will be played at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa Bay but the opponent for the Buccaneers is still unknown. Do you want to start watching football this year and want a favorite team? 46 students gave me their input on who their favorite NFL team is.

The data shows that there was a clear winner with a close runner-up.

In first place with 11 votes is the Detroit Lions even though they aren’t the best 11 WMS students like rooting for their home team. The Detroit Lions have made the playoffs a total of 3 times since 2000. In 2011, 2014, and 2016 they lost all 3 of those games. The last time they won a playoff game was in 1991 against the Dallas Cowboys.

In second place not too far behind the Lions is the Kansas City Chiefs. 8 people voted for them as their favorite team. The Kansas City Chiefs were the Super Bowl champions in 2020. That was their first super bowl win in 50 years. They made it again in 2021 but came up short losing 31-9 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Other teams WMS students voted as their favorite NFL teams were the Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, and more. Noah Tarquinto, a 7th grade WMS student, says “I like the Pittsburgh Steelers because my dad and my family have liked them their whole life.” Jake Newman, another 7th grader at WMS says “I normally root for the Detroit Lions but sense they are really bad I root for the Kansas City Chiefs in the playoffs.” Alex Jonhston, also a 7th grade WMS student, said “I like the Detroit Lions because they are the hometown team and when they don’t make the playoffs I root for the Seattle Seahawks in the playoffs.”