Lacrosse is one of the Fastest-Growing Sports in the U.S.A

The+American+flag+hanging+in+the+West+gymnasium.+

Ben Papke

The American flag hanging in the West gymnasium.

Ben Papke, Journalist

Lacrosse is the fastest-growing sport being played by people all over the globe since the year 1400 for cultural and social reasons. 

Lacrosse, or the Medicine Game, originated in the Indigenous tribes of Canada and the Northern United States. It’s said that it was given to us as a gift from the Creator to heal the sick. It was also originally played to ready tribes for war or settle disputes between tribes. There were no rules, just every man for themselves.  

Lacrosse was originally named stickball, but as soon as French missionaries crossed the waters, the name was changed to “lacrosse”. They thought that the stick looked like the crozier or crosse that the bishops carried. 

It isn’t the most popular sport in the midwest. It’s more popular in other places like Canada, New York, and the East Coast. “‘When soccer came into the Plymouth-Canton area, it took over. It just boomed and everyone put their kids in soccer,’” said Mrs. Horvath, West ELA teacher and lacrosse player. 

“‘We need to invest more space for it. It’s hard for to get people to paint the fields and sometimes it’s only the boy’s lines and not the girl’s lines,’” Horvath said. With more space, it gives more teams to get a chance to get out and practice. It could also give more people the idea of making a team because there is space for it. 

Horvath agrees that there need to be more lacrosse teams. It’s mostly centered around middle school and older people. “‘There are not that many youth programs for lacrosse,’” Horvath said. With more teams, the number of people who play would increase even for people of a young age.

Mrs. Horvath and her friends in high school played around with lacrosse sticks and got the idea of starting a team! “‘I had some friends and we tried to start the Plymouth, Canton, and Salem United team and we were successful. I was on the team the first year,’” Horvath said. More teams would give people of all ages more opportunities to get out and have some fun.