March Madness Ends With Largest Comeback in NCAA Championship History

WMS+student+shoots+a+three-pointer+during+PE.+

WMS student shoots a three-pointer during PE.

Ben Papke, Journalist

Kansas goes home with the trophy after their win in New Orleans on April 4th, marking the largest comeback in NCAA tournament history. 

It was a heated battle with the ongoing back-breaking sprints up and down the court, but Kansas made it happen. The Jayhawks had come in clutch after UNC had put on a 16-0 run in the first half.  

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s legendary career concluded after 42 long seasons with Duke. “Krzyzewski’s career officially comes to a close one step short of the sport’s biggest stage. He ended his career with five national championships, nine appearances in the title game, and 13 Final Fours,” quoted Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer.  Duke’s run ended in the Final Four courtesy of UNC in an 81-77 loss. “I feel like it’s the end of an era because if you remember, UNC coach Roy Williams just retired,” commented Amare Horsley, West 7th grader. 

March Madness is known to have some upsets. This year was no exception. Saint Peter’s, a 15th seed school out of Jersey City, upsets 2nd seed Kentucky in an 85-79 victory. 

Instead of rooting for the top-seeded teams, some choose to cheer for the underdogs. I like to root for the underdogs because it gets irritating when the same teams win year after year. Amare was happy when he saw how far Saint Peter’s made it in the tournament.