Fife and Drum Corps with West’s Annabelle Northcott

Melina Makled, Writer

Fife and Drum Corp. ‘What is that?’ you might ask. “Fife and Drum corp is mainly just about honoring our history; American history. And just kinda learning about it altogether, it’s really cool.” Annabelle Northcott, a 7th-grade student, states. Annabelle is in the Fife and Drum Corps. Annabelle holds a flag while marching. It’s a Betsi Ross flag with thirteen stars.

“It’s a great way to find friends and just be a big community!” Annabelle claims that she loves it. If you are in the Fife and Drum corps, you will march. Annabelle thinks that marching isn’t hard at all. Even when she first started, it wasn’t too bad. It gets tricky when you are in parades with the full uniform on. But it gets easier the more you get used to it.

“It didn’t take me too long to learn the color guard moves because we have amazing instructors,” Annabelle spoke, “My instructor, Jessica. She has a really good way with the recruits with, like, starting us off with the easy stuff. Then working our way up to what she knows we can do.”

They will most likely stop new recruits from coming less than halfway into the season. If you would like to join, you can go to PARC. You either do guard, the fife, or drums (you start out with the base drum and then go to snare). The meetings start at 6:30 pm then you get a break from 7:45 pm to 8:00 pm. It ends at 9:00 pm. It’s every Monday. If the school has a day off on Monday, so does the corp.

If you want more information, Mrs. Farmer might have some. You can even ask Annabelle. Or come to the next meeting on November 7.

The link to the Fife and Drums Coper website is as follows : https://pfdc.us/