West’s Opinion on Dress Code

Annalyse Wallace, Writer

A local West student comes into school wearing a brand new tanktop and shorts.

They walk out of school with a whole different, and way more covering, outfit.

This is the experience that many students have because of their school’s dress code. This is something that has been heavily debated at West and many schools around the world. A lot of kids feel like they can’t express themselves because of the dress code, while some just don’t like it. While some, on the other hand, are perfectly fine with it. 

You can see the PCCS Student Handbook to see what our district says for dress code. But, many other school districts have many different rules for how their students dress. Like how an eight year old in New Jersey got sent home for wearing a polo shirt in the wrong shade of green! So, even though PCCS’ dress code isn’t as strict as some other schools, kids, mostly all girls, get dress-coded at West. Today, I interviewed some West girls to get their opinions.

First, I interviewed West 7th grader, Elaina Barber, about her opinion on the dress code at West. “I think that the dress code is dumb because it’s kinda sexist. Like, boys can wear muscle shirts, but if a girl comes to school wearing a tank top, she will get dressed coded. But, it’s getting warmer and we’re gonna have to wear more revealing clothes.”

Then, I interviewed another West 7th grader, Amelia Pan. She just stated, “It’s okay. Some of the rules are reasonable. But some are just dumb.”

Last, I interviewed Avery West, a West seventh grader. “The dress code can be bad for some things, but some of them are reasonable. You shouldn’t be wearing a bra to school, you know?”

So, as you can see, girls at West have many scattered opinions about the dress code. But, no matter what you think, always try your best to follow the school dress code to the best of your abilities.