Want to Join a GSA Committee But Don’t Know Which One? Read This Article!

Annalyse Wallace, Writer

A West student walks into a GSA meeting, seeing kids clumped into groups, each talking about a separate topic.

Where do they go?

To explain, these groups are called the “GSA Committees”, a group of West kids that each focus on a separate topic to help WMS be a more welcoming place. All kids are welcome in any of these groups, no auditions required. Now, what exactly are these committees?

There are 5 panels in GSA- education, safe space/peer mediation, activity planning, student voice, and billboards. They all cover very different topics from one another, from educating kids on GSA to helping to make billboards for the school. 

But, some new GSA members may be confused when they walk into the meeting and get told to break up into groups. This week, I interviewed a member of each committee so that they can tell you, in their own words, what each group does and how they help the school!

First, I interviewed a member of the education committee, 6th grader Fiona Rogerson. I first asked them what the education community does. They stated, “[What we do is] educating people on the LGBTQIA community.” I then asked what was the main goal. They said, “Creating an accessible website that students can use to get educated.”

Next, I interviewed a member of the safe space committee, 6th grader Jack Valdez. I asked them the same questions. “[Safe space is] a committee where you can come and talk to us, and they can tell us their problems and we won’t tell anyone.” Then, they talked about the main goal. “To make people feel happy here.”

Then, I interviewed a member of the peer mediation committee, 6th grader Abigail Soronen. “Our goal is to help kids that are feeling sad or depressed and we try to make them feel happy.” Then, she told me the main goal. “To make everyone feel safe and welcomed here, and to also make them happy.”

Then, I interviewed a member of the bulletin board committee, 7th grader Alyah Coleman. “On the TVs around the school, we create a slideshow and put what GSA is about, when it is and what activities we’re doing that day.” Then, I asked her about the main goal of their committee. “To spread a positive environment for more people to join.”

Lastly, I interviewed a member of the activity planning committee, Dani. They said, “We plan all of the activities for GSA. Our main goal is to make GSA fun.”

As you can see, there are many committees to choose from. I hope that this article will help new GSA members, and remember- anyone is welcome!