Dress Code is Not Fair!

Brynn Christianson, Reporter

“Shorts must be fingertip lengths”, states Ms. Hammoud, West Middle School Assistant Principal.  Many students, include me, feel frustrated because we take the time that we should be sleeping, to get clothes that fit the dress code.  But when we go to school and we get dress coded that’s not good. The dress code is unfair and needs to be changed.

I don’t know about you, but I have a hard time finding shorts that meet the dress code and are in style.   I have long arms and the shorts would have to be down to my knees! Suprita Nagali (West 7th grader), states that “ Boys get more freedom than girls, they can wear shorts that fit the dress code because all of the boy’s shorts are long but for girls, long shorts are not what girls want to wear. “

Mr. Smiley the principal of West Middle School said a good quote about the dress code, he said: “you can like a dress code and not like a dress code but there will always be a dress code”.  This was a good quote because it tell’s you that there will always be rules. Funny story, in high school Mr. Smiley got dress coded for wearing an inappropriate shirt.

And shorts if they are not at your fingertips who cares kids should be able to express themselves. But Kyle Pierson states “I dislike the dress code because people should be able to wear what they want.” And sometimes kids have a nice outfit they want to wear but they can’t because they have shorts that are too short. And I think kids are smart enough not to wear booty shorts. But shorter shorts might be a kids sense of style.

Mrs. Hammoud the assistant principal at West Middle School stated that she doesn’t like the dress code. But she also said that she want’s students to know that the dress code is something major. She wants to have it so kids know what they can and can’t wear.  Because she doesn’t want kids showing up to school in bathing suits.  When she was younger she said that the dress code was very unfair, so the district and the principals at schools said that they changed it to be fairer.

Next time you’re tempted to wear your shorts on a terribly hot day,  be careful because of the dress code!