• November 20Spring Break is next week! April 1-7!

LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

LGBTQ%2B+Pride+flag.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

LGBTQ+ Pride flag.

LGBTQ+ Pride flag.

Sharon McCutcheon from Pexels

LGBTQ+ Pride flag.

Sharon McCutcheon from Pexels

Sharon McCutcheon from Pexels

LGBTQ+ Pride flag.

Josie Fillman, Dillon Starnes, and Braden Price

The term LGBTQ+ has been thrown around for years, but a lot of people don’t even know what it means. Some people at West are part of the LGBTQ+ community. However, when students walk through the hallways at West, they can often hear the term “gay” thrown out as an insult. This use of language is offensive and inappropriate!

LGBTQ+ is an acronym. The first five letters stand for respective genders. The L stands for lesbian, which is a term used for when females romantically love another female. G stands for gay, which is for when males romantically love another male. B is for bisexual, which means that a person romantically loves both male and female. T is for transgender. Transgender means that someone doesn’t identify with the sex they were born with. Q can stand for either queer or questioning. Queer is for people who are not sure how they identify themselves. The plus is for every other sexuality or gender in the community.

A common sexuality is pansexual, where a pan person could have a romantic attraction to anyone despite how that person identifies.

Then there is aromantic. Aromantic means that the person experiences little or no sexual or romantic attraction.

Gender-fluid is when someone doesn’t confine themselves to one gender and prefers to have no restrictions.

Some people don’t feel as though they should share this with other people, for fear they will be judged.

“West is a welcoming environment for all students. I know that the staff here at West is dedicated to making sure that all students have a positive experience during their middle school years,” Ms. Kulczycki, West’s new AP, confirms.

Interviewee Katrina Dioso, seventh grader, has some thoughts of her own, “Some [people at] West is welcoming to LGBTQ+ members.” Katrina claims that the friends she hangs out with accept her for who she is. Katrina also stated, “I don’t know how the staff feels about the [LGBTQ+ community].” However, Katrina does think that the staff members do try to stop kids from using “gay” as an insult.   

Our society often teaches children the only genders are women or man. Our society also influences us by teaching that only a woman or a man will fall in love with each other. That’s not always the case. There are many more identities than just a boy or a girl! In addition, not everyone will fall in love with the opposite sex – Some might not even ever fall in love!

Accept everyone and anyone! We’re all humans and we all deserve respect! No matter who you are, or what you want to be, don’t judge someone for who they are! Don’t use “gay” as an insult! Think before you speak!

10 Comments

10 Responses to “LGBTQ+ Pride at West!”

1. Jacob on November 20th, 2018 1:04 pm

Its fine to be homosexual I don’t know why people are homophobic it’s rude, let people love who they wanna love.

2. unknown on November 30th, 2018 12:46 pm

dont be rude

3. baby shark on November 30th, 2018 1:01 pm

i agree

4. hi on December 7th, 2018 12:39 pm

I AGREE FULL ON

5. PANQUEEN on December 14th, 2018 12:58 pm

I AM PAN AND I LOVE THIS

6. L on December 21st, 2018 12:39 pm

Its definitely not good to use gay as an offense but if everyone was gay there would be no babies and humanity would fall.

7. Unknown on December 21st, 2018 12:43 pm

I agree.

8. Bella Zheng on January 22nd, 2019 7:03 pm

PCEP is becoming more open, but it used to be super homophobic. Glad to see that changing!
    https://66.media.tumblr.com/06b07b5f95ba6cf2b2f4094e026e6efd/tumblr_p8vsz2XPh91ro8cdko1_500.jpg

9. A on January 30th, 2019 9:57 am

I agree with this, but I also believe we have some worse underlying issues. Many people at west are supportive or at least indifferent, but of course most people don’t say stuff to the people they know as out’s faces. I’m closeted and have to deal with it and it’s a lot worse than people may assume because of the quiter part of it. Of course I’m and LGBTQIA+ supporter, but it’s sad how many people at west are homo/trans phobic still.

10. grape boy on March 29th, 2019 12:49 pm

I agree.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Tips for Surviving Middle School

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Have you fallen down the black hole of Harry Potter?

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Spring Baking Ideas and Reviews

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

After-School “Hangouts” in DTP

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Making a Joke? Or Bullying? What is the difference.

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Dangers of Vaping

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Popular Apps Among West Students

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

Moving across the world? What is it like?

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

The Tea on West Teachers’ kids

• LGBTQ+ Pride at West!

Features

WMS Band Performs their Third Quarter Concert

LGBTQ+ Pride at West!