Realistic Fiction Books Just For You!

Josie Fillman, Reporter

Some of us don’t enjoy fantasy books with unbelievable settings. If you’re looking for a more realistic read, something you can really relate to, then this might be the book list for you! Here are some Realistic Fiction Books:

1. What If It’s Us? by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera. Just because Arthur is only in New York for the summer, he knows that a romance story could be flung at him anytime. Ben just wants the universe to leave him alone. If the universe did leave him alone, then Ben wouldn’t have to be carrying his ex-boyfriend’s stuff back to the post office. When the two exes meet at a post office, they might find something between them- and might learn that life isn’t always like a Broadway musical.
  2. Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda, by Becky Albertalli. Middle schooler Simon Spier doesn’t like to keep his drama anywhere except the school musical. Especially, his closeted secret: that he is gay. Simon prefers for no one to find out. Unfortunately, after leaving his email open, a secret pen pal email falls into the wrong, manipulative hands. Now, Simon has to find a way to keep his secret hidden, without losing all his friends and fumbling a shot at the super cute and confused guy he’s been emailing.
  3. Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. “The mystery behind it gives it another world,” Nailah Spencer, a West seventh grader, says when asked about Thirteen Reasons Why. The only way to learn the truth- and the secret is to press “play”. Clay Jensen is struck confused when a mysterious box shows up on his doorstep containing several cassette tapes all recorded by Hannah Baker- a former classmate and crush, who’d committed suicide two weeks prior. In these cassette tapes, there are thirteen reasons why Hannah ended her life…and it hurts to be one of her reasons. Read along and follow Clay as he spends his nights becoming a first-hand witness to Hannah’s pain.  Clays life is changed forever.
  4. Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli.  “It’s not just a plain, old book,” Hannah Comar, West seventh grader, praises Stargirl. It started with a big bang. The moment Stargirl arrives at Mica High, a burst of color has been surrounding her, making her stand out from the much more quiet students at Mica. And she easily catches Leo Borlock’s eye with a single smile. She sparks the cheer revolution with a single cheer. Everyone is enchanted by this newcomer. Unfortunately, that’s when they turn on her. They turn on her for everything that makes her weird, or different. Stargirl doesn’t mind- But Leo, filled with panic and love, tries to get her to be the one thing that will destroy her- normal.
  5. DC Trip, by Sara Benincasa. Sophomores Gerite, Sivan, and Rachel are going to take full advantage of the no-parent-supervision field trip to Washington DC. This is unlucky for the brand new teacher, Alicia Deats. Miss Deats is terrified by the group of horrible, backstabbing teens. Let’s see how this will turn out- Especially once Alicia realizes that a co-chaperone is one of the people she embarrassed with a few margaritas.

Whether you choose to read a light-hearted comedy, or a deep, sad story, enjoy these books!  DISCLAIMER! The Bite is not responsible for any mental and psychological damage. Read at your own risk. Some of these book are mature.