Top 5 Action Books You Have to Read!

Josie Fillman, Reporter

Sometimes you need something to read, even though you might not want to. Realistic or biography might not be your jam, but action could be! Here are the top 5 action books you have to read. Get ready to have an ultra, edge-of-seat riding, cliffhanger dropping, nerve-racking ride of terror and fun as you read through these books, cheering for your favorite character and crying when they die- I know, I’m sorry- and reading other books in the series. Please note that some of these books are considered “mature” for middle schoolers. Please pick books that are right for you! 

1. The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas. “It was like a really heartfelt book and it was such a real-life experience that could really happen and has probably happened,” Olivia Stults, West seventh grader, told the interviewer. Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter switches between two worlds on a daily basis- the poor neighborhood where she lives, and the fancy rich prep school she attends. The edgy balance between the two worlds is competently shattered to bits when Starr’s best friend Khalil is killed at the hands of a police officer. As his death becomes a national headline, Starr’s family is being threatened by different people, and anything she says or does will be used against her (Credit to original summary goes to the publisher HarperCollins and author Angie Thomas). 
  2. This Is Where It Ends, by Marieke Nijkamp.  “If they wanna focus on one topic or stuff that might be false or might not happen,” Caitlin Noe, West seventh-grader, explains, referring to the events of the book. “I liked the book because it has a lot of suspense building up to what will happen next and all the thought on where it’s going.” Four students come face to face with fears, hopes, dreams, and the barrel of a gun. 10:00- The new Principal of Alabama’s new high school ‘Opportunity’ finishes her welcome speech. 10:02- Students get up for their next class. 10:03- The doors won’t open. 10:05- Someone starts shooting (Credit for summary goes to Marieke Nijkump and Barnes and Noble).
  3. Warcross, by Marie Lu. Millions of people play this game- No, this way of life. Emika is just one of those million. Well, not really. Emika Chen is a teenager hacker bounty hunter who tracks down Warcross players who bet on the game illegally. And to make so quick, easy cash, Emika takes a chance- and a dangerous risk- and hacks into the opening of the International Warcross Championships- Only to glitch, and enter the action, becoming an immediate, overnight sensation.  Instead of getting arrested like Emika has convinced herself that will happen, she’s in for a shock when the creator- Hideo Tanaka- calls her. There is a major security issue in the game, and he wants Emika to spy on it to uncover this problem. And what Emika finds isn’t what she signed up for when she hacked into the opening of the championships (Credit for summary goes to Marie Lu and RandomPengiunHouse).
  4. Court Of Fives, by Kate Elliott. There are two sides of the balance- The high, upper-class Patron’s, and the free Commoners. And Jessamay wants nothing else other than to be a Commoner.  But during the night, she is whoever she wants as she sneaks out to train for the Fives- A complex, intricate, multi-level athletics competition that could give glory and fame to the kingdoms champions and best competitors. When Jess meets Kalliarkos, and the unlikely friendship of a mixed race girl and a Patron boy causes everyone’s heads to turn. A certain lord tries to tear Jess’s family apart, and Jess will have to test Kal’s loyalty, and risk vengeance from a terrible, old, powerful clan to save her mother and sisters (Credit for summary goes to Kate Elliott).
  5. Snow Like Ashes, by Sara Raasch. When the Kingdom of Winter was conquered sixteen years ago, the citizens were enslaved and held hostage. No magic, no monarch. Only eight have escaped and survived. Meria has lived as a refugee her whole life, training to be a warrior. She’s also kinda in love with her best friend- Winter’s future king. When scouts discover an ancient locket that’ll help restore Winter to its rightful powers, Meria jumps at it, only to get thrust in a world of magic and dangers politics, and comes to realize, that truly, her destiny has never. Ever. Been her own (Credit for summary goes to Sara Raasch and HarperCollins).