Good or hot garbage? How good was the NBA all-star weekend this year?

Paxton Prosser, Reporter

The NBA all-star weekend was on February 20th. If you don’t know, the NBA all-star game is when all the NBA stars come together for one weekend to just have fun and put on a show. This year was no different the all-star game was hosted in Cleveland, Ohio. Some rookies were even invited to the all-star game festivities!

Some of the all-star events were a hit and miss.  The Mountain Dew three-point contest was a big hit, but the AT&T dunk contest was a miss. Karl Anthony Towns (KAT) won the three-point contest with a score of 29.  Roshan Krolicki, a West 7th grader, agreed that the dunk contest was one of the worst ever with the final dunk score being a 45/50. My case in point was Obi Toppin, a player on the New York Nicks, with a below-average 7.1 points per game.  Which is a very poor average by NBA standards. The NBA skills challenge also took place.  It was very exciting because this time they changed up the format consisting of dribbling, shooting, passing, and half-court shots. 

There were three groups of teams. Team Giannis, Team Rookies, and Team Cleveland. Their games were a very close matchup over the skills challenge. Cleveland won the shooting challenge while team Giannis won the passing challenge. Giannis’s team and team Cleveland couldn’t finish in time so In the relay race team, the rookies won! 

Since there was a tie between team Giannis and the Cavs they had to go to a shootout where Cleveland won easily. It came down to a half-court shootout tiebreaking round between team Cleveland and the rookies. The rookies got a half-court shot to go in 9.9 seconds by Cade Cunningham a player from the Detriot Pistons, then Evan Mobley, a player for the Clevland Cavaliers, hit a half-court shot in just 5.5 seconds. Cleveland Wins!

The actual all-star game was on Sunday where Stephen Curry, a player from the golden state warriors, won MVP with a 50 point performance. Wow, that was an awesome display.  The all-star game was enjoyed by millions of fans around the U.S where every player’s fans come together to cheer them on. 

Roshan Krolicki a West Middle school student, was at the all-star game and stated, “I think the three-point contest was really good but the dunk contest stunk.” So that’s where I leave you with this question: Was the all-star game any good? Make sure to voice your opinion in the survey.