Detroit Tigers defeat White Sox on opening day with a walkoff home run

Silas Cosner, Reporter

On Friday, April 8th, 2022, the Detroit Tigers won their first game of the season against the White Sox.

The game started off with the White Sox taking a quick lead over the Tigers in the top of the first inning. The White Sox kept the Tigers off the board until the bottom of the 6th inning when Jaber Candelario hit a single up the middle that scored Robbie Grossman from 2nd base. 

In the bottom of the 8th inning, Miguel Cabrera hit a line drive into centerfield which scored 2 runs making the score 3-3.

In the bottom of the 9th, Eric Hasse hit a home run tying the game for the second time that day. With a runner on 3rd, Javier Baez stepped up to the plate and hit a walk-off to win the game. 

Mr. Wooster, an 8th-grade social studies teacher, says that his most memorable moment of the game was when Javy Baez hit the home run. “It was amazing when everybody thought he made the catch to send the game into extra innings, then the umpire reviewed it and called it the game-winning home run,” Wooster said. 

West 7th grade student Kaden Gonzales says that he thinks the Tigers did not play badly for their first game of the year but definitely could have played better. “I also believe that this year for the Tigers will be a rebuilding season for them with all of the new rookies and young players,” Gonzales said.