Mr. Menzer’s Grandfather Fueled his Love of Baseball

Mr.+Menzer+posing+with+his+grandfathers+baseball+card.+

Mr. Menzer posing with his grandfather’s baseball card.

Cecilia Barker, Reporter

Just by entering Mr. Menzer’s room, it is clear that he is a baseball fan. Look around, you can find baseball cards, posters, bobbleheads…but did you know that one of those baseball cards is actually his of his grandfather? 

Mr. Menzer’s grandfather is James Clark and he was a pitcher for the University of Michigan in the late 50’s.. James Clark grew up in Chicago and later in high school He hit a couple of no-hitters. He ended up getting the choice of either going professional for the Milwaukee Braves or getting a scholarship to University of Michigan. James Clark chose to go to Michigan. 

James Clark was a bigger guy, with a loud voice, and his loved ones called him “Jumbo”. “He’s the biggest reason I like baseball. He would throw pop-ups with me when I was little,” Mr. Menzer recalled.

Mr. Menzer’s grandfather would often drive down to watch Mr. Menzer play baseball. His grandfather would make it really special every time he came to one of his games. He was a big part of Mr. Menzer’s life and always encouraged him. His grandfather was really proud that Mr. Menzer was going to be a teacher. 

Mr. Menzer loves baseball for many reasons, but also loves looking at baseball statistics and scores. Mr. Menzer actually was a journalist for his high school newspaper, and he loved reporting on sports.

Mr. Menzer’s grandfather is James Clark and he was a pitcher for the University of Michigan. James grew up in Chicago. During his high school career, he pitched a couple of no-hitters.  Clark ended up getting the choice of either going professional for the Milwaukee braves or getting a scholarship to Michigan. He chose to go to Michigan. 

James Clark unfortunately passed away two years ago, however, his legacy lives on in his grandson’s heart.