2018-2019 School Year Community Council Campaign

Carly Cahill, reporter

Next year, the West Middle School Student Council is taking a government approach. There will be different positions including President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Campaign videos will be shown the week of May seventh, and school-wide elections for current six and seventh graders will be held on May seventeenth.

There are multiple people running for each position. Total, there are twenty-two students running for Student Council offices. Vice president has the most with eight candidates. Ms. Lang, an eighth-grade teacher at West, said: “We are really excited about the amount of interest [in the campaigns] we have in the building.” Regarding the actual election, we will get the results soon after we vote on May seventeenth. The goal of Student Council is to give students a chance to take on leadership roles at school. All candidates were required to get signatures from students and teachers before they were able to start running. Posters will be hung up the week of May eleventh. If you have any additional questions, see Ms. Lang in room B107, or Mrs. Hedge in room B104.  

Student candidates have lots of great ideas. Jenna Badger, a seventh-grader at West is running for president. Jenna says she plans to “improve PBIS meetings, celebrations, the bathroom policy, and hall passes. I want to be president because I have many ideas for our school [to become] a place where students want to come to school every day.” Paige Martin, a seventh-grade candidate said, “My campaign is supposed to appeal to everyone that comes in the West doors. I have so many plans that will appeal and affect everyone single student in West Middle School.” The candidates both want West to be a place where student enjoy.
Some candidates are going above and beyond. They are opening Instagram pages, creating websites, passing out flyers, stickers, and surveys, and even having raffles! Start thinking about who you want to vote for, elections are coming up fast!