WMS Band Performs their Third Quarter Concert

WMS+7th+grade+band+room.+

WMS 7th grade band room.

Lessa Gharaibeh and Victoria Tan

The West band dedicates their class time to prepare for their upcoming concerts. The 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade band classes perform a concert every quarter. The third quarter WMS band concert took place on Monday, March 11, 2019, in the West gym.

Olivia Tenaglio, a 7th grader, explains, “My favorite [song] to listen to is ‘Highlights of Carmen’ and my favorite [song] to play is ‘Celtic Air and Dance No. 2.’”  J.J. Gardner, also a 7th grade band student, states, “My favorite music to play and to listen to is ‘Tempest.’”

The main way the band prepares is by practicing. First, Mrs. Farmer chooses the music. Next, we take the music for a “test run”. Elizabeth Kelly, a 7th-grade band member says, “ …This is my favorite music this year.”  The final step? The students participate in a combined rehearsal before the big night!

When students first enter the band, the receive their instrument and music books. If it is the start of a new quarter, students will usually receive new music and practice until it is perfect. They practice, practice, and practice until the end of the quarter.

Elizabeth Kelly, a seventh-grade band student, gushed, “ My favorite one to listen to is ‘Tempest’ and my favorite one to play is ‘Celtic air and Dance’.”

“ …You usually do it only if you want to, and you learn a lot, being an all year thing, so other electives are something you can get assigned randomly, and get it exchanged for another elective. But [having band class]is something that you want,” J.J. Gardener, a 7th-grade band member commented.

And you might be thinking, how did their concert go? Well, we admit that the music entranced us and it was a magical experience.