2020 SJ5K Concert

SJ5K Choir and race shirts.

Samantha Herman

SJ5K Choir and race shirts.

Samantha Herman, Reporter

Spring is coming and the SJ5K concert is just around the corner. The SJ5k concert is April 22nd, at Salem High School at 5:30 p,m. For this concert Mrs. Grady and the West choir partner with the highschool SJ5K team. The high school team communicates to the SJ5K families that we are doing a benefit concert and asks them to each choose a song that is meaningful to them. Once those songs are chosen, the choir sings these songs dedicated to the families being honored. 

For those who don’t know what the SJ5K run is, it’s a 5K run that helps raise money for chosen recipients fighting diseases and other illnesses. Emma Thomas, a West seventh-grader ran in the SJ5K a few years ago. “It was really fun, and it felt good to help those in need,” she stated. This is her first year in the choir and she is very excited about the concert. “I’m looking forward to seeing the SJ5K families watch us sing their songs,” she added. 

Many West Choir students and Mrs. Grady loves putting on this concert. Mrs. Grady says that this is the fourth or fifth year of doing this concert. I asked her which concert was her favorite so far. “They all are my favorite to be honest, just because it’s helping the community and it’s benefiting those right within our town.” she continued. One of her favorites though, was when they had the most families. (nine families) “We were able to reach out to so many and the kids were really thrilled with the job they did,” she answered. Her favorite memories throughout the years of this concert are just watching the students seem to become connected to the families and almost get to know them a little. When the families come to the concert and sit in the front row she says it’s very special to share the moment with them and the choir students. 

Breanna Morrison, another West seventh grader loved performing in the SJ5K concert last year. “I thought it was a great experience and very beneficial to the SJ5K recipients,” she told me. One of her favorite memories was watching the video about all the families. “Watching the video made me feel good that I was going to be apart of the concert.” she implied. I asked her if she thought that Mrs. Grady should continue to put on this concert. “I think Mrs. Grady should definitely continue to put on the concert. It helps people in need and it’s also a nice way for us to be a part of the community,” she concluded. 

As the finale for the concert 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade choir students perform “The Champion” by Carrie Underwood. They believe that each 0f the families are champions in their own way. 

As a part of the West choir, I am very glad that we get to put on this concert every year. It is such a great way to help the community and give back to people in need. We hope to see you there!