WMS Students’ Favorite Movies  

The+Penn+theater+in+Downtown+Plymouth.+

The Penn theater in Downtown Plymouth.

Shea Douglass and Eliana D'Angelo

Many new movies have made it to big screens in 2019 and 2020. With the 2019 box office raising about 41 billion dollars in profits, there is no doubt that some movies this year were big hits! We got opinions from students at WMS about their favorite, least favorite, and most-watched movies. 

We got the opinion of 143 West students and asked them what movies they have seen most recently. Some of the top responses were, Knives Out, IT Chapter 2, Frozen 2, Jumanji: The Next Level, and Ford vs. Ferrari.

Some seventh-grade students gave us their opinions on these new movies. Jackson Brickey saw Jumanji: The Next Level, “I saw Jumanji, it was pretty lit. I thought Jumanji was cool but it was kinda weird when a snake would just eat someone out of nowhere.”

A lot of students thought highly of these new movies, but others disagreed and were disappointed in some of these new films. We interviewed seventh-grader Isabel Prantera to get her opinion on the new movies. “I saw Ford vs Ferrari, I thought it was okay but personally I am not a huge fan of cars.” Prantera thought that Ford vs. Ferrari was “over-hyped” and found that the movie was not all that she hoped it to be. 

Whether or not you enjoyed these movies, they produced a lot of profits: 

Jumanji: The Next Level had a global profit of 754.8 million dollars, compared to the 962.1 million dollars that the first Jumanji movie made. 

IT Chapter 2 followed behind with a global profit of 473 million dollars. This was a surprise to most people because the first IT movie made over 700 million dollars worldwide. 

Ford vs. Ferrari was not as popular but still raised 222 million dollars in worldwide profits. 

The rest of 2020 is sure to be full of new and exciting movies! What movie will you watch next?