Want to Move Mountains? Register for the 2023 SJ5K!

Isla Jones and Brianna Stasa

Next week, May 1-5, is spirit week! And although many students are excited to wear fun spirit day clothes, many students don’t realize what they’re dressing up for. 

Next week’s spirit week is leading up to/in celebration of SJ5K.                                                                                                                                             

SJ5K is a Plymouth-Canton fundraiser that began in 2011 after a then-Canton sophomore, Jesse Lindbauer, suffered a near fatal brain injury. Jesse spent 11 weeks at a C.S. Mott Hospital, surviving 2 emergency brain surgeries, and soon after, beginning his long road to recovery.  

As a result of the emergency, local students, teachers, and community stewards grouped together to support the Lindbauer family. In May of 2011, the first ever SJ5K was created. After months and months of planning, the event exceeded far beyond all expectations, with over 1,800 runners in attendance, and enough funds to purchase a handicap accessible van, as well as fund modifications of the Lindbauer home to support the new life Jesse had to adapt to. The following year, the decision was made that the SJ5K event would continue on to benefit other Plymouth-Canton families in need. Since 2011, the SJ5K has supported 45 local families facing crisis situations. The event continues to be organized by local high school students, and supported by the Plymouth-Canton community. 

The theme of this year’s SJ5K is “Move Mountains”. The event will be held at Plymouth-Canton Educational Park Varsity Football Field, Canton Michigan, on Sunday, May 7th, 2023. Hopefully learning more about SJ5K has inspired you to attend the event, the link to register is listed below and on the SJ5K website which is also listed below! 

SJ5K Registration

SJ5K Website