• November 20Spring Break is next week! April 1-7!

The Scoop on Momo

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Scoop on Momo

Emma Patrick and Maya Boland

The Momo Challenge is a big problem. This challenge first gained attention in July of 2018, and this is affecting many children in the United States, this challenge causes children to do the challenges that may be harmful to them and loved ones. This challenge is being spread on the internet on sites we use every day, such as Facebook, Whatsapp, Youtube, etc. The challenge is used to scare kids and has affected children all around the world.

The face used in the challenge was taken from a clay Japanese statue. This challenge teaches children step by step how to harm themselves and their family or loved ones. Makenna Sennett, a seventh-grade student here at West, stated, “ I know that people are doing the challenges that can be harmful toward them, and it says if you don’t do the challenges Momo is coming for you.” The song that plays on the videos is the creepiest of all, the song is called the “Momo Song0” and is sang in a child’s voice.

The challenge will appear in the middle of children’s videos on Youtube, like Peppa the Pig.  “Well it doesn’t scare me because I know it’s just a hoax, but the challenges are what kind of freaks me out…” Ava Obrock, West seventh-grader, stated. Whether you’ve seen Momo pop up on your screen or not, beware of popular or silly challenges on the internet.

8 Responses to “The Scoop on Momo”

1. Laurel Dandurand on March 24th, 2019 10:37 am

Momo is dumb and i don’t think anyone should be doing this.

2. Alex Proctor on March 25th, 2019 12:20 pm

Great article, guys! I’ve never seen any Momo challenge vids, but I will say that I think the FACE is EXTREMELY creepy!! No one should EVER do this “challenge”.

3. John moore on March 25th, 2019 12:42 pm

momo should be taken down and it is not safe for younger kids

4. Teddy Ewers on March 25th, 2019 12:44 pm

I once got a momo thing while I was watching Yo Gabba Gabba on youtube kids. It told me some things to do that I didn’t want to do. I didn’t do them though!

5. Noah from 6th grade on March 25th, 2019 12:45 pm

Um………… Why? Why did this start?

6. Mackenzie LaMere on March 27th, 2019 4:23 pm

Momo is just a silly hoax that actually scared me for a little while. But after realizing that it was just some horrible person trying to watch the world burn, I feel that the “joke” someone is making of it is terrible, and just wrong. They might not realize that this harmless little “prank” is costing people, and their loved ones lives.

7. Someone on March 29th, 2019 12:54 pm

When I was visiting my friends, they played the video because it is weird. and we laughed. I still think it is not good to do those challenges though and only laughed because it is so weird and messed up but not because it is good.

8. MANURE on April 14th, 2019 10:23 pm

Her name isn’t actually Momo. The official title of the sculpture is “Mother Bird” and it’s a statue of an ubume, a type of youkai. She’s not evil. By the way, the statue was made of natural materials. It rotted away months ago.

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Tips for Surviving Middle School

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Have you fallen down the black hole of Harry Potter?

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Spring Baking Ideas and Reviews

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

After-School “Hangouts” in DTP

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Making a Joke? Or Bullying? What is the difference.

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Dangers of Vaping

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Popular Apps Among West Students

• The Scoop on Momo

Features

Moving across the world? What is it like?

• The Scoop on Momo